Sunday, 23 April 2023

No 138 - Last letter from Dunkirk, 1940

 


I was scratching through ancestral papers
, as one does in one’s footloose retirement, and rediscovered a remarkable thing: a tightly folded letter tucked in a small envelope. The envelope bears an inscription: “Geoffrey’s letter to Pon from Dunkirk, May 1940.” Another hand, which must be my mother’s, had written above “Geoffrey” the word “uncle”, and above “Pon”, “aunt”. Now I knew that Geoffrey Hobson Matthews was my grandfather’s brother; “Pon” was the family nickname for Honor, their sister. I knew that Geoffrey had become a priest, and I remembered that he had been killed at Dunkirk, where some 300 000 troops of the British Expeditionary Force were being desperately evacuated ahead of the Nazi invasion of Belgium. I have a photographic print of him in military uniform. Yet somehow I hadn’t fully absorbed the drama of this letter.

Geoffrey Herbert Berrow was born to John and Alice Matthews on 12 December 1903 at Stanley Lodge, Monmouth, Wales. “From the start,” wrote a cousin and family chronicler David Pontifex, “he was a child of character and full of quaint remarks”. He began his education at St Benedict’s in Ealing, long a Matthews haunt. He remained there during the First World War, while his older brother Bernard was, ironically, dropping small bombs on the Germans in France from his Sopwith Camel.

Geoffrey seemed bent on becoming a priest from the earliest age: his father’s diary records a remarkable sermon on miracles he delivered at the age of 3. He joined the Benedictine community at Downside Abbey in 1922, spent a year of study at Sant Anselmo in Rome, and was ordained priest on 1 July 1928. Just a month later Bernard, who had gone to Kenya to try his hand at farming, died of blackwater fever (malaria), leaving his wife Mary pregnant with their second daughter – my mother.

Honor, Bernard, John, Geoffrey and
Monica Hobson Matthews, ca. 1910.

  Geoffrey – now Dom Gervase – taught at Downside and Ealing Priory Schools, in the holidays travelling with Honor as far as Poland. When the Second World War broke out, along with other Downside old boys, he joined the BEF, and was assigned to a Casualty Clearing Station (CCS). He wrote several letters during this time, which David Pontifex had, but I haven’t seen them – apart from this typewritten one to Pon. It was the last he ever wrote; somehow the letter, added to over several days, got away. Its last entry is 30 May 1940. He mentions having written to Pon. Within 48 hours he was dead, exactly how no one knows. On his body, folded into his psalter, was discovered the neatly handwritten diary he had kept throughout his time in the BEF, which found its way back to Downside Abbey. You can see a few extracts of it on their website, which lavishes praise on his self-sacrifice.


There are intriguing differences between the two accounts. Though he didn’t exactly sugar-coat it, his account to Pon lacks some of the diary’s details, omits to mention that he was actually on the beaches on the last couple of days, and adopts a slightly more offhand and upbeat tone. He doesn’t mention that a handful of chaplains drew lots to see who should leave or stay. The last line of the diary reads: “a priest certainly should stay”.

Here is the letter.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                                                            No. 2 C.S.S.

                                                                                                            B.E.F.

                                                                                    Friday, May 24, 1940

 I am typing this on my bed. I have no table. I sent a field card off to you this afternoon. No post is going from here, but we heard that there was one going from No.1 C.S.S. about ten miles away; so we all dashed off cards and despatched them by someone who was going there. It was the first chance since I have been back; but I hope you had my letter from Boulogne? I don’t know when this will get off. The only thing to do is to write, and to post when one can.

            My leave seems to have ended years and years ago. It is all so different out here now!

            After writing to you at the harbour station at Boulogne I had to decide what to do. I could get no news at all of the unit and all of us were told to stay put pending instructions – which might not be forthcoming. Two chaps (major O’Meara, who sent off my wire from Dover; and Lacey, the United Board, whose leave was over before mine), left by train (civvy train) for Arras. The line was so blocked by refugee trains and hospital trains that it took three hours to get as far as Etaples, and I didn’t arrive at Arras until after midnight. In the train I learned that Courcelette, the little village where I sang Mass on the Sunday before my leave, had been bombed and destroyed. There was a big petrol dump there.

            I can’t describe the tension in Arras. It was awful. The town was of course in complete darkness; cars were gliding about without lights and refugees were trying to sleep in the open streets. I crossed the square and wandered into a big hotel just opposite the station; it had been abandoned, but the side doors were open. Two French soldiers were standing nearby. One of them said, “Are you a priest? All right you can go in. You will find a bed in Room 19 on the third floor; but sleep lightly and be ready for grave news.” So I went up to room 9 on the third floor, washed and shaved in cold water, and slept on an unmade bed, without undressing, to the wail of air raid sirens. I was the only soul in the building, and it was about as weird an experience as you could wish!

            At 6 o’clock I knocked on the door of an Augustinian convent and asked if I might say Mass. The nuns got everything ready for me and attended in full force; and just after the Communion there was a hefty air raid that lasted until I left the altar. Lots of bombs were dropped and thirty people were killed in the streets by Boche machine-gun fire. The noise was appalling.

            The Rev. Mother gave me breakfast in the convent and I then collected my bag from the empty Moderne and repaired to the station, where I received a sharp but friendly rap on the knuckles, from the Military Authorities, for having come up from Boulogne on my own!

            I remained at the station from 7.30 until lunch-time, trying unsuccessfully to get news of 2 C.C.S. from the R.T.O. in his office. At 8.30 a Boche plane swept down on us, dropped several bombs (which fell wide, but not as wide as one would have wished) and then began to let loose a hail of machine-gun bullets on all present. The Boche bullets pinged uncomfortably loudly on the stone platform, within a yard or two of me, and I leapt with unwonted agility into the R.T.O.’s office. No sauntering, I mean!

            Shortly afterwards, the aviator (or it may have been another one) was brought down and taken prisoner. They brought him into the station under escort: a boy of 18: his left arm was broken and his right eye was cut and bruised. The French soldiers left him standing against a wall, while everyone ogled him. I felt unreasonably sorry for him and bunged some cigarettes at some French wounded, who were waiting for a hospital train, I am afraid for the sole purpose of giving him one too. He said “Thank you” in English; but his hand trembled so that he upset the packet. He tried to pick them up but I lit his and prevented him. After standing the whole thing exceedingly well for some time, his nerve gave and he began to moan and cry out; the bruises had spread all over his face and he was obviously in a bad way from shock. They took him into a waiting room and laid him down on a wooden bench; but they wouldn’t do anything else for him. When I went in to see him he cried in English “help me, help me!”, but quite quietly. I suggested that one of a number of pillows, lying nearby, might be put under his head; but I nearly got lynched for suggesting it! After a bit he recovered somewhat; and the last I saw of him was his being put on a hospital train with the French wounded.

            There were air raid alarms all through the morning. I spent the time helping to bundle the aged of the refugees into what trains were going, until at mid-day word came through that every British troop was to be out of Arras immediately. Most of them had already left.

            I had to decide then between returning to Boulogne or somehow getting forward to where our 3rd. Corps was, in the Bethune area. I was told that it was just possible that I might get some news there of the C.S.S.; but that if I didn’t somehow get out of Arras without delay the consequences would be very serious. In other words the Boche were about to enter.

After some hesitation (actually getting on to a Boulogne hospital train and getting off again!) I climbed with my suitcase on to a lorry laden with ammunition, feeling like half a dozen suicide squads whenever I thought of what would happen if the joint went up! I left thereon at 1.30; and exactly twenty minutes later the station was bombed to bits and more than 100 people were killed, mostly refugees. I find it hard to get the thought of them out of my mind: two or three trains packed with them; others huddled together on the platforms and  just inside the station doors. I heard about it later from the R.T.O. He congratulated me on getting away and told me that his office had got a direct hit just after he left it; that two trains had direct hits also; that there was practically nothing left of the station and that the sight was too awful for words. So maybe ‘twas your prayers that sent that ammunition lorry along in the nick of time!           

The lorry took me to 3ed. Corps H.Q. and I at once went to the R.T.O. there to ask of news of the unit; and there I had the most incredible luck, for seated in the office was Colonel Graham (C.O. of No.2 C.C.S,) and a few yards away was the whole outfit – with Master Maurice Summers and my own little car! They were actually on the move and called there en route to get instructions! I put my suitcase on to my car and there we were! Much tail-wagging on all sides!

As you see from my using my typewriter, I got hold of some of my kit that I left behind when I went on leave; but most of it, including my altar kit and my large suitcase, is still on a train somewhere and can’t yet be got at. An awful nuisance as I now want my altar kit badly. Fortunately I brought out a new supply of Oils with me this time. We are opening up in full tonight. Till now we have only had fairly light cases, owing to our being unable to stay for more than a few hours in one place.

We have been all over the shop and I have been sleeping in woods and under haystacks and on the top decks of ambulances. Now we are established in an evacuated school on the Belgian frontier and I suppose we shall stay here unless a move is indicated.

German planes fly overhead all day and all night and there has been a lot of bombing all around. A few moments ago 12 Boche planes went past, ‘mid a colossal shindy from A.A. guns. It is a bit uncomfortable (but no more than that) to hear and see them incessantly. No one bothers about them unless they are bang over us; then all have to get under cover.

 Saturday, May 25

 I saw St Omer bombed by about 30 planes on Tuesday, when we were three or four miles away. It was the most spectacular thing I have seen in that line. We were up on a hill and looked down on the whole show while it was on. We could hear the Germans machine-gunning people on the roads.

            The plight of the refugees (mostly Belgian) has been pitiful beyond words. The roads have been thronged with them, and things have been happening so quickly that it has been quite a common sight to see them making first in one direction and then all returning and trying to get away in another. I gave the Last Sacraments to one poor man who was dying by the roadside. They were all so patient and there has been no panic at all; just the most awful suffering.

            I was not able to say Mass from the day I left Arras until yesterday; but I went once to Holy Communion, seizing the moment, never giving a thought to the fact that I had broken my fast in the small hours of the morning while we were travelling. And that Thursday was the feast of Corpus Christi didn’t dawn on me until that afternoon when I went into a church on our road.

            On Wednesday it was decided to evacuate all the nursing Sisters to England, as things have been rather hot for them (this war is entirely unlike the last and there is no safety ‘behind the lines’) and the C.O. asked me to take them to Dunkirk. We set off in an ambulance at 8.00 a.m.’ the driver, nine sisters, and myself (I in front with the driver). When we arrived at a town just outside Dunkirk we were stopped. Dunkirk was being bombed. While we were waiting there I ran into Frs. Coghlan and McCreton, to my delight and theirs. I was the first of our chaplains they had made any kind of contact with since the flap began. Later we pushed on into Dunkirk; but the bombing had put the harbour temporarily out of action and the only thing to do was make for Calais – rather perilous in view of the German spearhead advance towards Boulogne. Also they have odd tanks dashing around all over the place!

            We got out of Dunkirk just in time to avoid a second raid on the town, during which I hoicked the sisters out of the ambulance and into a ditch for shelter. Then we tried to get onto the Calais road; as no one quite knew what was happening between there and the coast. We had to turn back and I found a farmhouse where I unloaded the sisters and got rooms for them. It seemed that we were stuck.

            After a few hours, however, we were allowed to push on again by a very round-about route; and the road was so congested with refugees that our progress was slow and very difficult. We reached Calais at last at 6 p.m., to find that it had been having a good old bombing just before. The harbour station had been hit and fires were blazing away all round the docks. A boat was expected to leave for England in the morning; so I parked the sisters on the Area Commandant, a Colonel Holland, and bade them a tender farewell – to my enormous relief!

The job then was to get back again. I had taken my leave kit with me as it was very doubtful whether one would succeed. I could have come to England for the asking: the pass was made out for myself and the sisters, in case there should be no getting back from the port. The driver and I set off at 7.30, hoping for the best, and did in fact get back here (the unit had come here during the day) at about midnight – driving without lights, past thousands of troops, guns, tanks and ammunition lorries being rushed up to the defence of Boulogne and Calais. The roads and bridges were all mined, ready to be blown up to stop the Boche, and we had to zig-zag our way between barrels of gunpowder. There were several huge fires at Dunkirk, which had evidently been bombed again since we came through, and the flames were shooting up ‘mid great columns of smoke. Later we passed through a town that had been bombed to pieces since our driving through it in the morning; a terrible sight now in the darkness, with great holes in the streets, houses yawning open from direct hits, and every window smashed for miles.

 Sunday May 26.

 I had to call this off yesterday because the Boche came over in fairly full force (eighteen planes) and dropped a shower of bombs on us, six hefty ones falling very close. I went down to the wounded (lying on stretchers on the floors of the school, because of course this isn’t a hospital but a clearing station). It was pretty awful. The whole place seemed about to fall and most of the windows crashed to pieces. It was so horrid listening to the whine of the bombs and the frightful explosions. The large and very beautiful parish church, just a hundred yards away, got a direct hit and was smashed up completely. I found the Tabernacle door blown open, the lid blown off the ciborium, the lid of the lunette also blown right off, and the Hosts covered with dust and plaster; I climbed over the debris (which was beginning to smoulder) and took the Blessed Sacrament to a house nearby – for which I was patted on the back by some French soldiers. It was terrible going into the wrecked houses to look for the people; but I got a great kick out of the fact that Dabbs the C. of E. was in a cellar – though he came out after a bit and was very kind to the populace. No civilians were killed but a good number were killed. I anointed the French soldier just before he died, and a few hours later I buried him; for which I received the official thanks from the C.O. of his regiment. I want never to have to go through the like again; but I suppose one will! It was comforting to find that the breeze was blowing inside the most hardened warriors just as much as it was inside me!

            Lots of love to all the family; and thumbs up! Jerry is gabling on a knock-out; but we’re not knocked out yet and our turn will come!

            Pray for the wounded. They are so good and patient. Some of the cases are very pathetic.

            I haven’t had any mail since I came back. No one has. I do hope you are out of London!

            Your very loving,

                                                Geoffrey.

30.5.40

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

The folded, typewritten letter I possess looks rather authentic, but must itself be a copy: ‘copy’ is in fact written on the envelope, I guess by David Pontifex, who must have sent it to my grandmother. Or possibly after the war Honor (Pon) took it on her visit to Kenya, where Mary had married Alban Mitford-Barberton, and was raising Bernard’s two girls on their farm near Kitale. My mother, then a young girl, recalled meeting Pon, and perhaps did so again when she visited England later. Pon died in 1967.

 After 1945 everybody thought that Europe had finally exhausted its appetite for war. Not as far as Putin is concerned: the scenes of devastation, numbed refugees, the casualties buried where they died, described by Dom Gervase, are shockingly being exactly replicated in eastern Ukraine. Insane.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment